Monday, January 17, 2011

Butter Mochi

A friend introduced me to this treat several years ago.  Also called "custard mochi", it's sort of like a cross between a custard and a sticky rice cake.


I modified a recipe from http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/ono-butter-mochi/Detail.aspx.  I halved the recipe, reduced the amount of sugar and egg and omitted the coconut.



Ingredients
8 oz. mochiko (glutinous rice flour)
2 oz. butter (1/2 a stick, I used unsalted butter)
1 c. granulated sugar
2 eggs (large)
1 1/2 c. milk (I used whole milk)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract


Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350.

2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar, and eggs.  I partially melted the butter.

3. Add the milk and vanilla.  Stir to combine.

4. Add the mochiko and baking powder. Mix until smooth.  The batter will be quite runny, like a thin pancake batter.


5. Pour batter into greased pan (8"x8" or so. The pan I used measures 10.5"x6.5").


6. Bake on center rack for 55-60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment