Thursday, May 12, 2011

Koreanized pulled pork

I really like pulled pork sandwiches and I decided to experiment to add some Korean flavors. The experiment was a tasty success, but I'm not quite ready to post an exact recipe.


Ingredients
pork shoulder
salt
sugar
water
Korean red pepper paste (고추장)
soy sauce
rice vinegar
minced garlic
minced ginger

Directions
1. Brine the pork shoulder.  I had 2 lbs. and left it in the refrigerator for about 16 hours.  12 hours or overnight should probably do the trick.  For 2 lbs. of pork shoulder, I used the following amounts:

1/3 gallon of water
1/3 c. salt
1/3 c. sugar

2. Remove the pork from the brine.  I used a wet rub roughly made roughly from the following:

1/4 c. Korean red pepper paste (고추장)
2 TBSP soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger

I used only about half of this mixture and reserved the rest.

3. Roast at 250F until the pork reaches an internal temperature of 190F-205F.  Mine took a surprisingly long time, because I think my oven wasn't hot enough.  1.5 - 2 hours per lb. should do the trick, but this piece took 5 hours.

4. Shred the pork.

5. Serve on a bun.  I used a toasted French roll.  I also added picked Korean radish and carrots (recipe here).

The "barbecue sauce" on the left was made from the reserved wet rub and some rice vinegar and sugar.  On the right is sweet chili sauce (recipe here).

6. Here is the sandwich all sauced up.

No comments:

Post a Comment