Thursday, August 25, 2011

Dooboo Jorim (두부조림) - Braised Tofu


Dooboo Jorim (두부조림) is literally "braised tofu."  I think this name is a bit misleading, because when I think of braising, I think of a long, slow cooking process, whereas the tofu in this dish was only cooked for about 10 minutes.  Perhaps a better name might be "twice-cooked tofu."

I had some tofu that I needed to use up.  I've also had this giant Costco-sized bottle of Mr. Yoshida's sauce for what seems like forever.  Mr. Yoshida's is sort of thick and sweet, but it actually was perfect for this dish. It combines soy sauce, sweetener (in the form of corn syrup), mirin (rice wine), and some other spices.  This was also a good opportunity to finish off an onion (I had 1/8 of a medium onion left) as well as some green onions.

This was pretty tasty, but it was also quite spicy.  I think I happened to get a pretty spicy serrano.

Ingredients
1 block of tofu (I used medium-firm)
1/4 c. Mr. Yoshida's sauce
1/4 c. diced onion
1/4 c. chopped green onion
1 serrano chile, diced (optional)
1 tsp. gochoogaroo (고추가루) - red pepper powder
2 TBSP. oil


Directions
1. Cut the tofu into 1/2" thick slices and place on a plate lined with a paper towel.  Allow excess moisture to drain off for a few minutes.

2. Fry the tofu slices in oil over medium heat, about 3 minutes per side.  I had to fry mine in two batches.


Flip after about 3 minutes.
You just want to cook it until it's slightly golden brown.
Think toast, not crouton.
3. Chop the onion, green onions, and serrano chile.

4. Combine the onions, green onions, red pepper powder, serrano chile, and Mr. Yoshida's sauce.

If you don't have Mr. Yoshida's, then I suppose you could make your own mix.  Off the top of my head, I'd say you could try 2 TBSP. soy sauce, 3 TBSP. sugar or corn syrup, and about 2 tsp. mirin ( you can substitute sake or sherry), a little bit of grated ginger and garlic.  But this is just a guess.

The sauce will be pretty thick.  Don't wory.
5. Pour the sauce over the cooked tofu and toss gently to coat the tofu slices.  Let simmer for about 5 minutes.


6. Eat it.  With rice, without.  As a side, as a main dish.





No comments:

Post a Comment