Saturday, August 6, 2011

Seekh Kabab Mughlai (Indian ground meat kebabs)

"Seekh Kabab" is the name of an Indian or Pakistani dish made of minced meat grilled on skewers in a Tandoor oven.  Apparently, foreigners called it "sheesh kabab" which may have evolved into the term "shish kabob."

I have lunch with my mom on most Saturdays.  Our favorite Indian/Pakistani restaurant in San Francisco is Shalimar and they serve a ground beef kebab called "Seekh Kabab Mughlai."  Here is my super-simplified version that I made at home.  Since I don't have a Tandoor, I just cooked these on a cast iron pan.  You could probably broil these in a toaster oven.




Ingredients
8 oz. ground beef (I used 80% lean)
2 oz. onion, chopped (about 1/3 c.)
2 tsp. garam masala
1 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. salt


Directions
1. Mix all ingredients

2. Form into small sausage shapes of desired size.  I chose roughly 1 oz. portions, which are about the size of a ping pong ball.

3. Fry on a hot pan, for 2-3 minutes, turning to cook all sides.


4. They can be eaten plain or with some naan bread. You can also squeeze some lemon juice over these.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment